Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Kristi laughs like a middler schooler

This post is dedicated to my dear friend Kait-ie :)

So recently I've been breaking out into hysterical bits of laughter that no one seems to understand and if I keep it up people might start referring to me as that 'crazy azungu'...oh wait.
The following are two examples of this:

So earlier this week I had a community meeting. This meeting consisted of 148 Malawians and four health workers leading a discussion on why I'm here, who I am, and what projects I want to help with, ect. A good time to be on my best behavior since I was the star of the show. The guy sitting next to me is talking and everyone is paying attention to him, he's speaking in Chichewa so I am getting bored and not really paying attention. (yes, this would be a good time to be alert and practicing language but that's not reality). The man proceeds to sit down and is rubbing his face, for some reason I'm still staring at him and someone else starts talking. All of a sudden I look more closely at this mans hand- and he has a crack nail. (an extremely long pinky fingernail) The Malawians are pretty diligent about keeping their fingernails short so this isn't an accident. I'm not implying this man does drugs at all- that actually would he absurd, however I immediately burst into laughter. Partly because of the fact that he has this nail and partially because i cant stop remembering the time kait bust into my house one winter morning telling me how she lost her crack nail sometime that night. (kait also is drug free just to clear that up haha)This laughter catches everyone off guard. By the time I gain control of myself everyone is staring and I have to wait another twenty minutes before I can ask this man about his nail. He tells me 'it's for decoration- people love it.' I ask him if I can take a picture of it and he responds 'in two months- ill grow it out really long for you'. Needless to say I laugh uncontrollably for another five minutes.

This second example is embarrassing given the nature of my job here. I am in a high school two days ago with my counterpart and we are taking turns talking about safe sex and stds/HIV. A student asks my counterpart a question about transmission of stds and my counterpart starts talking about sex. Then he gets this puzzled look on his face and starts almost yelling at these kids about how stds can be transferred during oral sex. I'm not sure why but I start giggling like a twelve year old that just heard the word penis. The student notice that this awkwardness is funny so they coyly ask him 'what's oral sex' this throws him in a tizzy, he's going on and on about oral sex and I literally have to step out of the room I'm laughing so hard. I'm not sure what went over me, why I thought this was so funny, maybe a combination of my counterparts theatrics and the amount of stress I've been feeling lately. I'm glad he didn't mention my behavior and I hope I can hold it together more.


Unrelated pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to Kristi goes to africa


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones